Countdown to August 1

Friday, October 14, 2011

Ora et labora

Day by day, this place becomes my monastery. And I strive to mark each day with prayers and sacrifice. I will smile at everyone, especially Jesus. I will be obedient to my superiors, and especially to the Lord. I will be kind and loving, compassionate and gentle. I will treat everyone as Christ.

Forgive me Lord – I become short with others when I should be kind. I just get so tired of running into opposition about abortion and contraception, so tired of being told that I can’t tell other people what to do, when that isn't at all my intention. You said the world will hate us because of Your Name, and that we must pray for those who persecute us. I try to pray for everyone I see, Lord. But You know my heart, and the extent of my pride and sin. You see the grudges that stick to the insides of my soul.  

Teach me, Lord, to still my mind and slow my breath. Teach me to hold my tongue and speak the truth in love. Teach me to smile when I'd rather sit in stony silence, to do my part when I'd rather be alone. Teach me to offer all my sorrow to You, to immolate myself in the fire of Your Sacred Heart, that nothing in me might cause anyone to stumble.

This is a school of prayer and work, of service and study. And day by day, Lord, You are showing me that You meant what You said - You are with me always. And nothing can separate me from Your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment